Sunday, October 26, 2008

Week Seven: Minnesota on YouTube

This week's post is a critical multimedia essay on media representations of Minnesota. I will discuss this topic in relation to a series of YouTube clips that I've posted. I didn't mean for each clip to appear as a separate post, but my YouTube account has been on the fritz so I'm surprised I was able to embed clips at all.

I've chosen to start with a clip that's been in the news lately. This is a clip from a McCain rally that took place in Lakeville, MN during the last couple of weeks. In it, a woman says she is afraid of an Obama presidency because "He's an Arab." My reaction, and most likely the reaction of many around the country, is "Where did this woman crawl out of? The land where all forwarded e-mail goes to die?" This is the brief picture the country got of a Minnesota resident, and I'd like to explore these questions: Are we, as Minnesotans, surprised to see this woman as our representative? Or do we know deep down that this is a typical Minnesotan? For viewers outside of the state, does this picture align with their idea of what Minnesotans are like?

3 comments:

pete said...

Well, at least McPain tried to set a few limits with the Minnesoootens. Gotta give 'im that, you betcha.

Joe - Wednesday's Child said...

Well, from a media literacy perspective, a literate viewer would understand this as a political piece posted for political ends.

An media literacy ethnographer would simply see this woman as one member of a herd with 5,167,101 animals who just happened to be the one to come forward at this moment to bleat.

Kristin said...

Hey Emily,

I thought all of your posts and videos provided really interesting and different perspectives on Minnesotans. One great point you had (I think when talking about the food at the fair) was the difference between "insiders" and "outsiders". I feel like I have a unique perspective on that, since I didn't grow up in the midwest but have lived here for going on 8 years now. Some things are still pretty crazy (like chocolate covered bacon. What???)

One point I think you demonstrated well was that there is no one type of person, one type of Minnesotan. I'm very interested in identity, and one project that might be interested in a media class would be for students to produce a video or images that portrays their own idea of a Minnesota identity--and then see how they're all different (even when similar). That could then be focused to an area identity--Twin Cities vs. suburbs vs. rural. Then family, then individual. I think there's a lot of great ideas and discussions you can have when viewing perspectives like the ones you found here.

Great job Emily, see you soon :)
-Kristin